LANCE E. MCCOMIS
Lance McComis has provided guidance in trusts and estates since 1999. Lance concentrates his practice in the area of estate planning, estate and trust administration, real estate and business transactions.
Prior to joining VanAntwerp Attorneys, LLP, Lance served as in-house Trust Counsel and Vice President of a large regional bank with assets in excess of one billion dollars. That experience provides Lance with a unique perspective that he uses when drafting estate planning which results in cost savings to his clients and more effectively addresses their concerns.
Lance advises individuals in all areas of wealth management, including federal gift and estate tax planning, charitable gifting, generation skipping tax planning, asset protection planning and business succession planning. Lance has worked with clients on estates of all sizes from the modest to the very large and complex. Lance recently completed an estate plan for a client with an estate of over $30 million.
Utilizing a team approach with financial planners, wealth advisors, insurance agents and accountants, Lance takes a comprehensive approach to preparing estate plans for his clients. Lance customizes each estate plan to the unique goals of the client, structuring each one to minimize the impact of probate and taxes on the estate as well as to address the specific circumstances of the clients. Lance drafts many documents for clients including wills, powers of attorney, advanced health care directives, special needs trusts, living trusts, irrevocable trusts, family limited partnerships and charitable trusts.
Throughout the probate and estate administration process, Lance assists and guides clients through court appearances, filing required documentation and reports, creditor negotiations, distribution of assets, and filing of estate, inheritance and final income tax returns.
Lance has extensive experience working with both fiduciaries and beneficiaries on modification and termination of trusts under the Uniform Trust Code. Lance advocates for his clients using various methods of resolution for trust and estate disputes, including drafting private settlement agreements as well as estate and trust litigation. Lance represents both plaintiffs and defendants in estate litigation and recently represented plaintiffs in a complex multi-million dollar will contest action, which was resolved favorably for his client.
In commercial transactions, Lance represents clients in the sale and acquisition of existing businesses as well as the formation and dissolution of both for-profit and non-profit companies. Lance advises both individual and business clients on structuring entities for purposes of wealth transfer, business succession and asset protection. Lance implements entities such as Limited Liability Companies, S-Corporations, C-Corporations, trusts and both limited and general partnerships to accomplish clients’ goals.
Lance has litigation experience in trust and estate challenges, corporate matters and real estate disputes.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- 40% Estate Planning
- 20% Estate and Trust Administration Matters
- 25% Real Estate
- 15% Business/Corporate Law
CERTIFIED LEGAL SPECIALTIES
- Certified Retirement Plan Specialist, 2001
- Kentucky, 1998
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 2010
- Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Highland Heights, Kentucky
- J.D. – 1998
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Recipient, Commonwealth Scholarship
- Law Review: Northern Kentucky Law Review, Administrative Editor, 1997 – 1998
- Marshall University
- B.B.A. magna cum laude – 1995
- Major: Accounting
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Kentucky Bar Assocation, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Peoples Bank, National Associate, Vice President & Trust Counsel
- Community and Technical College Foundation of Ashland
- Paramount Arts Center, Board of Directors
- Greater Huntington Estate Planning Council, Member and Former President
- Ashland Rotary Club, Member and Former President
- Ashland Community Kitchen, Board of Directors
- Jesse Stuart Foundation, Board of Directors
- King’s Daughters Medical Center Health Foundation, Annual Support Committee Member